Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

D4niel

Underpayment penalty

Every year I’m getting an underpayment penalty and I don’t know how to find the reason, I work for UberEats, is it mandatory for UberEats drivers to file taxes every quarter? And am I getting the penalty because I don’t do that? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KanchanM
Employee Tax Expert

Underpayment penalty

Being an UberEats driver, you need to pay quarterly estimated taxes. But file your tax return annualy only not every quarter. IRS uses pay-as-you-go income tax system, meaning that we should pay our taxes as we earn income. So if we do not pay our taxes during the year when are earning the income, we may owe penalties. Even if we get refund when we file our taxes, we can be charged penalty for late payment of taxes. Thus, paying quartely taxes can avoid penalty at the end of the year. 

Every quarter you pay estimated taxes that include your income tax and self-employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare). You can calculate your taxes using TurboTax Tax calculator Once you know your estimated taxes, you can divide it by 4 to know your quarterly estimated tax. You can adjust yor taxes in subsequent quarters based on increase or decrease in your income.

You can pay your taxes to IRS online or trough mail. You can use this link for making IRS payments online. You can also make payment through mail using this link. When you file your annual tax return, you pay the balance or get a refund. If you have overpayment/refund, you can consider applying that to next year's taxes.

Please give me a thumbs up if you like my answer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KanchanM
Employee Tax Expert

Underpayment penalty

Being an UberEats driver, you need to pay quarterly estimated taxes. But file your tax return annualy only not every quarter. IRS uses pay-as-you-go income tax system, meaning that we should pay our taxes as we earn income. So if we do not pay our taxes during the year when are earning the income, we may owe penalties. Even if we get refund when we file our taxes, we can be charged penalty for late payment of taxes. Thus, paying quartely taxes can avoid penalty at the end of the year. 

Every quarter you pay estimated taxes that include your income tax and self-employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare). You can calculate your taxes using TurboTax Tax calculator Once you know your estimated taxes, you can divide it by 4 to know your quarterly estimated tax. You can adjust yor taxes in subsequent quarters based on increase or decrease in your income.

You can pay your taxes to IRS online or trough mail. You can use this link for making IRS payments online. You can also make payment through mail using this link. When you file your annual tax return, you pay the balance or get a refund. If you have overpayment/refund, you can consider applying that to next year's taxes.

Please give me a thumbs up if you like my answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies