Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes for 0 income.

How do I file taxes for zero income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Taxes for 0 income.

If you received no income of any kind in 2023 there is no reason to file a 2023 tax return.

Unless you also received a Form 1095-A for your health insurance through one of the State Marketplace Exchanges or from healthcare.gov then you must file a tax return.

Taxes for 0 income.

What are you trying to accomplish?   If you had no income at all then you have nothing to gain by filing a tax return.   If you have a 1095A for marketplace health insurance you are still required to file even with no income.  You can add $1 of interest to be able to e-file.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Taxes for 0 income.

Thank You,

The reason I ask is that I immigrated to USA last year and have no income as of yet but as per my understanding my tax is related to Medicaid from the govt. This is not just for me but also my parents. I live in Oklahoma and someone told me in order to get Medicaid or assistance from the govt you would need to file taxes so that you can sign up for Medicaid. Maybe I might be able to get a job later on and then file in next year taxes however my parents are over 65 years of age and they cannot work and I was hoping to get some assistance on this and was told to file in 0 income taxes for parents and they will be able to get insurance based on that as they have no income. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes for 0 income.

I suggest reviewing this website for additional information on how you could qualify for Medicaid.  

This website also says you can still apply but you would only be required to file taxes if you qualify for premium assistance for the benefit year.  Under question number 5, it indicates you don't have to file taxes to obtain the benefits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies