Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling a secondary home

I am selling a second home that was being lived in by my daughter.  We have not lived in the home in the last five years. I want to sell the home and buy another home with the profit of the sale. I intend to use all the profit to buy the second home and use as a rental. I am married. Do I need to pay tax on the profit? Can I defer the tax by using all the profit to buy the second home? Is there other ways to shelter the profit of the sale ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Selling a secondary home

At this point, no, you would have to pay taxes on the sale of the second home (personal use assuming your daughter is not paying fair rental amounts and you not are treating the property as a rental).  

If the property was a business/rental property, you may be able to defer the gain using a 1031 exchange.  Your original property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify.

Basically there is a process whereby you can exchange like business properties and the gain on the sale of your original property is deferred until you sell the new property.  Here is a link with more information on the process. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Selling a secondary home

The last time you could avoid capital gain tax by using the money from selling a home to buy another home was in 1997.  Yes, you will owe tax on the gain from selling your second home, even if you re-invest the money into the purchase of another home.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Selling a secondary home

Can you do a 1031 exchange?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Selling a secondary home

At this point, no, you would have to pay taxes on the sale of the second home (personal use assuming your daughter is not paying fair rental amounts and you not are treating the property as a rental).  

If the property was a business/rental property, you may be able to defer the gain using a 1031 exchange.  Your original property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify.

Basically there is a process whereby you can exchange like business properties and the gain on the sale of your original property is deferred until you sell the new property.  Here is a link with more information on the process. 

Selling a secondary home

What about 1031 like kind exhcanges?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-18.pdf

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Selling a secondary home

From my earlier post and the link provided and extracted below, "Your property needs to be a business (rental) property to qualify; second homes or personal use properties do not qualify."

"Both properties must be held for use in a trade or business or for investment. Property used primarily for personal use, like a primary residence or a second home or vacation home, does not qualify for like-kind exchange treatment."

Selling a secondary home

thanks for the great information this helped and answered my question

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies