Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No income for CTC

I just wanted to make sure I did my taxes correctly.

Is it true that with no income for 2023 I cannot claim the child tax credit? I have two kids and no income for last year and my refund was $0. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

No income for CTC

Correct.   If you did not have any income from working in 2023 you are not eligible for any child-related refundable credits.  There has only been one tax year----2021--for which you could get the child tax credit even if you did not work. The tax laws changed for 2022 and 2023.  You cannot get the CTC if you did not work.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No income for CTC

For tax year 2023 you must have at least $2,500 of earned income from work to be eligible for the child tax credit.

If you did not have income of any kind in 2023 there is no need to file a tax return.

Unless you also received a Form 1095-A for your health insurance through one of the State Marketplace Exchanges or from healthcare.gov then you must file a tax return.

No income for CTC

I did get a 1095 so had to file. Thanks for answering! 

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

No income for CTC

You're welcome! Thanks for joining our event today!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies