Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to use the Turbo expert help functions and find out the background data table

Thank you for this expert event for 2024!

I was always stuck at some pages while using the TurboTax web version. 

Usually how could I get advice/help from the expert team?

How could I use my purchased TurboTax software to file the tax for last year?

I can not find an entrance for that function.

Many thanks. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How to use the Turbo expert help functions and find out the background data table

Where can I find the teal “Expert” button at the top?

Loretta P
Employee Tax Expert

Hello MythSaraLee,

Within the program there is a Live Tax Advice button in the upper right corner.  Clicking this button will connect you to the tax experts.  

Live Tax Advice.jpg

This link will walk you step by step to connect to an expert:  How do I connect with a tax expert in TurboTax Live? 

To file a new prior-year return, you'll need to purchase and download that year's TurboTax software for PC or Mac, as TurboTax Online and the mobile app are only available for the current tax year. (Note: Returns for tax years 2019 and earlier are no longer eligible to be filed through TurboTax.)

To file prior year returns, you must use the TurboTax Desktop product.  You can download the prior year products here:  TurboTax 2022 Prior Year Tax Prep

How do I file a 2022, 2021, or 2020 tax return?  contains a video to show you how to prepare a prior year return in TurboTax Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for the links.

Do you have knowledge on the background data table while I was using in another state?

My expense data for tools and donating contributions, does not affect the main tax results...

Loretta P
Employee Tax Expert

There are many reasons that expenses entered for tools and charitable contributions may not seem to make a difference on your main tax results.  If the total of your itemized deductions is less than the standard deduction, TurboTax will default to using the standard deduction.  

Another reason you may not be seeing a difference in your federal tax results is due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) passed in 2017 which among the changes in the Act suspended the deduction for work-related education expenses & unreimbursed employee business expenses from 2018 through 2025 for most filers.

Helpful links:

Standard Deduction vs. Itemized Deductions: Which Is Better? 

Standard vs Itemized Deduction Calculator 

Are Unreimbursed Employee Expenses Deductible? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And maybe you are already getting back all that you can and more deductions and expenses won't increase it.

Thank you for this TCJA information.

I tried several times from 2018-2024. It was not steady.

Sometimes the system could pass the deductions. Sometimes it says "gov employee only".

If we could not use edu and tools deductions for this year 2024, what other terms you may help to recommend? Many thanks~~

Thank you.

My income is not high. The tax rates should be lower than 10% usually in the previous years...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies