Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Delayed Federal refund

I filed my federal tax refund with Turbo Tax & it was accepted 2/29. IRS Track Your Refund has said it was delayed since 3/2. A few days ago I received a letter from the IRS saying the return was delayed to "verify" income, and listed the following possible reasons for the delay: income, income tax withholding, tax credits, or business income. I have no business income. All data was imported from my sources of income, and all is accurate. My return is relatively simple, and my refund is sizeable. What should I do next, and what can Turbo Tax do to help me? BTW, I cannot access this forum despite having followed all of Turbo Tax's instructions, including resetting my password. What gives?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Delayed Federal refund

It's possible the IRS has other income that was reported to them that wasn't included on your return. This can be an indication of fraud. You will have to wait on the IRS. They will send you a letter once they process your return if anything is not as it should be. 

It might be easiest to set up an account with them.

IRS Individual Online Account  

• Taxpayers with a Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number can create or access their IRS Individual Online Account to get information they need to file their return.
  • With an IRS Individual Online Account, people can:
  • View balance owed, payment history and schedule payments.
  • Cancel scheduled payments – new feature for 2024.
  • Get transcripts.
  • View or create payment plans.
  • See digital copies of some IRS notices.
  • View key data from their most recently filed tax return, including adjusted gross income.
  • Validate bank accounts and save multiple accounts, eliminating the need to re-enter bank account information every time they make a payment.
  • View, approve and electronically sign power of attorney and tax information authorizations from their tax professional. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Delayed Federal refund

Not very helpful. As stated, all income was imported from sources (not stated, but it is only 5), and all is accurate. I closely verify all data for accuracy and completeness as it is entered. Before retiring, I worked as a tax expert, and I've used Turbo Tax for several years. I have never encountered such a delay before.Will set up the account as you suggested. Is there anything else I can do? Is there nothing else Turbo Tax will do to assist?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Delayed Federal refund

If your letter from the IRS gives you a phone number to call, you could call them to try to learn more about the status of your refund.  

Once the return has been accepted by the IRS, there is nothing that TurboTax can do to assist in this situation.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article for more information and resources that may be helpful:

TurboTax Audit Support Center

@Brunnehilde 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies