turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transunion score

Why is my score on here showing 715 but when a creditor pulled my transunion last night it was like 609? Talk about embarrassing when I told them up front it was showing me to be 715. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Transunion score

Are you using Turbo for your score? --> https://turbo.intuit.com/

You might want to check with the creditor since there is a huge disparity between the two scores.

Turbo, apparently, uses a newer scoring model while TransUnion, I believe, uses the older VantageScore 3.0.

Regardless, check with the creditor for information on which model (or other metric) they used.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Transunion score

Are you using Turbo for your score? --> https://turbo.intuit.com/

You might want to check with the creditor since there is a huge disparity between the two scores.

Turbo, apparently, uses a newer scoring model while TransUnion, I believe, uses the older VantageScore 3.0.

Regardless, check with the creditor for information on which model (or other metric) they used.

Transunion score

What most people consider an “official” credit score is produced by a company called FICO.  There are more than 50 different “official“ FICO scores.  The most common is a model 8 general credit score, but even then you have three different model 8 scores depending on which credit bureau is used as a source for the information.  Then, some lenders prefer to use the older model 5 or model 3 scores, so FICO still sells them.  FICO also produces specialty scores for different lending sectors using different models.  For example, a credit card lender might be mostly concerned about how you pay other credit cards and not care so much about your student loans, while a mortgage lender may care very much about how you pay other long-term debts.  And all these scores can have three different values when using data from the three different credit bureaus.  So no one has a single “official“ credit score.

(The general score has a range of 300 to 850, and I believe the specialty scores have a range of 250 to 900.)

The score offered by the Turbo app is a TransUnion “vantagescore”, which should be similar to but will not be the same as a FICO score, even if they are both generated from TransUnion data.

If you want to pursue this further, you can ask the lender exactly which score they used. Did they use the general model 8 score, or did they use an older model or a specialty score?  (I believe that if you are denied credit, the lender must tell you which score they used.)   It could also be that if you had a recent change to your credit score, that might show up in the FICO score that was generated on that day, but might not show up yet in Turbo which is only updated every two weeks I believe.

Transunion score

Incidentally, FICO itself and each of the three credit bureaus offer subscriptions where you can obtain your official FICO scores in real time. They may have a free trial period, and you should certainly evaluate whether the monthly subscription is worth it to you, but that option is available if you want to know your official FICO score.

Transunion score

My credit score is 660

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies