turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

@jmcee wrote:

Then I noticed my loan from the bank for our vehicle is not listed in the report.  Can you tell me why that is?

I cannot tell you why that would be other than, possibly, your bank is not reporting your loan to the reporting agency(ies). You might want to check with your bank.

I paid off all my credit cards about 15 years ago, and its like the can't find me. I have no credit score, although I pay a cable bill a utility bill, a cell phone bill. I own my own home & pay taxes.....any help in getting them to find me

@ebelfiglio wrote:
I paid off all my credit cards about 15 years ago, and its like the can't find me. I have no credit score, although I pay a cable bill a utility bill, a cell phone bill. I own my own home & pay taxes.....any help in getting them to find me

From Credit Karma:

If you’ve had credit in the past but no longer use credit cards, or you have closed accounts on your report, there won’t be recent activity to produce a score for you.

See https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/if-you-dont-have-a-credit-score/

Your cable, utility, cell phone companies, as well as your county tax assessor, probably do not report your payments to any of the credit bureaus (unless you stop paying) so you need to have some sort of credit line (e.g., mortgage, credit card, auto loan) to establish a score.

CLS

Closing credit card accounts that aren't used may not be a good idea.  Closing them reduces the total amount of available credit you have.  This will result in your total outstanding debt increasing as a percentage of how much credit you actually had.  Additionally, those accounts will age and add to your length of credit history.

Close them if absolutely necessary, otherwise let their balance and age work to your benefit.

Boymomx3

If I have items that have been in collections since 2013-2015 I’ve heard a few different things. 

1. They fall off after 7 years

2. Take a settlement and be done

3. It’s best to pay the full amount. 

What do do you recommend? All of my debts are under $500ish except for one which is $3500 but I have a dozen or so, so it’s really impacting my score. 

Bamber53

Bankruptcy saved me! You get a fresh start at life!

Freeze your credit to keep creditors, or anyone else, accessing your credit.

Jedediah

I've recently paid down some of my debt, but my credit score went down a few points.  Here's a secret:  If you have NO debt, lenders will not know whether you're reliable or not.  Consequently, your score will be lower than if you carry some debt, and never miss a payment. 

Charlesallevato
Returning Member

I enjoyed reading that how to improve your credit score. 

brian16

I don't need to raise my credit score.  I want my refund for 2018 Federal filing. Please take care of this.

@brian16 wrote:

I don't need to raise my credit score.  I want my refund for 2018 Federal filing. Please take care of this.

You posted to the wrong thread, but the FAQ below might be able to help you with the status of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/00/25589

Question, I had a credit card with insurance on it. I was in a car accident and I was unable to pay, that is where the insurance comes in. I've been going back and forth to court for the past 12 years because the CU should of been paying for it. Now the bank said they do not have any paperwork on my account they gave it to a collection company, which is a lawyer. I found an old form with my name on it. Thye looked at it and that was it. I feel like I should not have to pay this bill that somehow went from $4,000+ to $11,000+ and they want me to pay that. My credit is great and I do not want to file bankruptcy. Please advise what I can do.  Thank you

I had no card except one in default we are trying to pay off. I just applied to get another at a very high interest rate because i thought it would raise my score by doing so....wow. was i wrong! My score took about an 80 point hit. I guess i am just going to need to work harder now!

Idhilsyn

One thing I don't understand. My credit score is shown to have gone down 7 points, but there's no indication on my credit report as to *WHY* it went down. I haven't missed any payments, opened new accounts, and my credit utilization is shown to be in the "AWESOME" region at 10% overall. How do I track down what went wrong?

@Idhilsyn wrote:

...My credit score is shown to have gone down 7 points, but there's no indication on my credit report as to *WHY* it went down.

Seven points is pretty much just background noise in terms of your score. The article below illustrates why small decreases are, in most instances, largely irrelevant.

https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/why-a-10-point-drop-in-your-credit-score-doesnt-matter

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies