turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

I have 791 score its been going down slowly. I had 815. Why going down if everything is ok on my side?

@Neverjohn wrote:
I have 791 score its been going down slowly. I had 815. Why going down if everything is ok on my side?

It would not hurt to review your credit reports, which you can get free of charge from the site below. However, the mechanics (formulae) appear to be somewhat volatile so 815 to 791 should not be a major concern.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

My problem isn’t a bunch of credit card debt or things like that. I have mainly medical debt that got judgements on my credit report but most are 5+ years old now. Am I better off paying the old debt that was sold from when I had no insurance or letting it fall off after the 10 years? I’ve had one credit card in my life and it got canceled because I tried to make a payment and it didn’t hit my bank that day 3 times, so even though I was trying to pay it in full they canceled my card. The only other debt I have is my student loan and I’m in good standing with them. My score is mid 500’s but I want it higher.

@Mmadison  wrote:
My problem isn’t a bunch of credit card debt or things like that. I have mainly medical debt that got judgements on my credit report but most are 5+ years old now. Am I better off paying the old debt that was sold from when I had no insurance or letting it fall off after the 10 years? I’ve had one credit card in my life and it got canceled because I tried to make a payment and it didn’t hit my bank that day 3 times, so even though I was trying to pay it in full they canceled my card. The only other debt I have is my student loan and I’m in good standing with them. My score is mid 500’s but I want it higher.

Links to a couple of relevant articles on this issue are below.

https://www.thebalance.com/should-you-pay-an-old-collection-960595

https://www.thebalance.com/tactics-for-paying-off-debt-collections-960596

I guess the real question is did you declare bankruptcy on these debts. If you did in 5 years your credit will slowly get better. Do not pay anything. What I did was apply for a high interest credit card after 8 years and used it and paid it off monthly. Never late on anything. If you did not declare I would do it now and give them nothing. Now the clock starts over. Credit card companies will be sending you offers left and right hoping you'll default again as you cannot declare for another 10 years. Get a card use it and pay it off every month. It all just takes time. This past April was 10 years that I declared and my credit score ranges from 765 to 804 depending on which agency you ask. Good luck!

Join a credit union, ask about a service they offer that lowers debt which in turn builds credit, they will refer you to an organization that does just that. They will be free to use because of a government charter that dictates how a credit union is supposed to function, i.e they are supposed to help the low income/less fortunate and local economies.

Been working in banking for a long time. Good luck.
gene
Returning Member

I've seen the same pattern.  Except the action of opening the account will temporarily take a large swipe at your score, it will go up month by month.  After your credit limit with new accounts tabulate, you will see a significant rise as well, as per my experience.  The rest is paying on time and more.

jfj

Why is there such a difference in my score between credit reporting agency's? One has my score 50+ points below another. My DTI  and debt owed show completely different among the three agency's. How do I fix this?

Alexandramartina34
Returning Member

You can't fix having a different credit score from the three credit agency. What you can only do is is make sure you remove any negative item causing harm to your credit rating. You can visit [website removed] and learn more yourself.

You can visit the site below, get free credit reports, dispute inaccurate information, and learn more as well.

Hey thank you so much for youre advice😍🥰😊

JayRund1

You need the book "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey.  It is life-changing.

McMillon

Why did score go down 90 pats?

@McMillon wrote:

Why did score go down 90 pats?

You can visit the site below, get free credit reports and dispute any inaccurate information, if necessary.

jmcee

When I looked through your information I saw that it says we should have a good mix of credit card and loans.  Then I noticed my loan from the bank for our vehicle is not listed in the report.  Can you tell me why that is?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies