turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

@Daved wrote:
I realize there are 3 different credit reporting agencies but When I check my score it’s different depending on what online service I’m using for the same credit reporting agency. Why?

There are different scoring models (read the information at the link below). Also, different creditors may report to different agencies.

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-scores/

Hallie

I don't understand this new credit score being used by you and some lenders lately. My FICO which we all used as a guide until recently, is 140 pts higher than what you have reported. A difference of fair/good rating to very poor. Why has the model changed, this terrible for consumers who have raised the FICO considerably. Why aren't these scores comparable?

Two tricks that work...
1. If you know you're going to pay the full balance each month, don't wait until your CC runs your statement. It reports that amount to the credit bureaus, which counts against your credit usage%. Instead, if your outstanding balance is for example $1,000 and the period ends June 25, then pay that balance (or a lot of it) June 23. Then when they run the report on the 25th, it'll show a balance of $0 on your credit report.
2. Always pay more than the minimum payment due--on credit cards especially, car loans, student loans, etc. Even rounding up to the next $10 makes a big difference in how credit bureaus view you.
SyannaE2

Hi, I really wanted to see if you would help me out too with my credit scores and give me that recommended place to help raise my score
SyannaE2

Can u please help me to get my score better.im currently at 580 and I'm 31 . I'm kinda clueless to the whole credit raising . I'm trying to buy a house too but I know I have to raise my score before I even try to. Please let me know everything I can do to get it up . How did u do it? What steps did u take and where did u start? I need all the advice and help I can get!! Please help me. My email is [email address removed]. thanks, terra

I'm in your exact same boat. It looks like I'm going to have to file for bankruptcy as well.

I moved about two years ago. I had credit before but it doesn’t seem to matter. I get dinged for short credit history? I have many open accounts but only have four with any activity and it’s a below 10% amount. I’m only at 703? Pay my bills on time and rarely carry a balance. What else can I do?

The following web site contains suggestions for improving credit scores, most of which are the same on all of the other web sites that contain credit score improvement advice.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/improving-credit/improve-credit-score/

Pay your bills on time!

How do you keep people from checking your credit. For example amazon checked my credit, I have not replied to any ads...
Paular68
Returning Member

I would like to boost my score

You should get your free credit reports from the link below and then simply follow the suggestions and tips in this thread.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

You know  I am in the same situation as you are. And I am searching for an answers just like you. And guess what I found it out. So are you ready and here it is simply to apply for more loan. I was told that I have to have loans  like real estates, car loan as  well as some other item just to prove that you can manage those monthly payment.. You can call anything you want so they say but that's way it is Period. End of quote.

VenaZ1

Bout 12yrs+ ago I was a victim of IDTheft. My score was perfectly high, devastation, by a family member. I have not been able to bring up my credit score. I can't establish credit either. I went through a bad time. I can't even save anymore. I don't want any credit cards and I'm ok w that. I was willing to foreclose on my house, after 6yrs of not paying. No notice of foreclosure, I came to the realize I should save it. And I did. (That was a clue to save my house).
How else can I jump start my credit again.
Rilaid

When you don’t pay your debts the rest of us have to pay it, one way or another. Our debt was mainly medical but we fought our way back because we didn’t want to file bankruptcy and have others have to soak up our debt.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies