turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charged for state filling

I DID NOT RECEIVE MY ONE-FREE-STATE FILLING.  I could not E-file my State taxes and also one of my daughters State taxes.  There were problems in Turbotax with the CA and 540 forms.  My daughter and I prefilled our Federal taxes and Turbotax prevented us from using the one-free-state filing.  I was able to E-file my other daughter’s Federal and State taxes but I was charge for the State.  How do I get this charge returned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

There is no free state e-filing using the TurboTax desktop editions, except for New York state.  One state program download is free and included in the purchase price using using the Deluxe edition or higher.

The current e-file charge is $25 for each state tax return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

JTyler_23
Returning Member

Yeah the same thing happened to me I end up being charged for state and that was totally a curveball thrown at me I was not expecting that but I didn’t know we was obligated to get a free state. So thanks a lot for the info I’m gonna have to go follow up on that

I too am miffed by the misleading information from Turbo Tax.  I bought it with 'free tax' not realizing it was just the download.  Please make your up front messages more clearly.   I also had a terrible time entering information that needed to be on Schedule E and only my brother was capable of giving me good directions to solve that issue.  Trying another software next year....

mickman

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies