Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

account

hello all .  ı need to learn it . last weeks ı did my tax refund but for return of tax ı gave my friend's account number. ıs can be problem for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

account

If you entered a bank account for direct deposit of the tax refund and your name is not on the account, the bank will reject the direct deposit and send the refund back to the IRS.  The IRS will then send a refund check in the mail to the address on your tax return.

One a tax return has been filed and accepted the method of receiving the tax refund cannot be changed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

account

If you entered a bank account for direct deposit of the tax refund and your name is not on the account, the bank will reject the direct deposit and send the refund back to the IRS.  The IRS will then send a refund check in the mail to the address on your tax return.

One a tax return has been filed and accepted the method of receiving the tax refund cannot be changed.

account

“In most cases“ the bank will reject the deposit. Sometimes the deposit will go through anyway. You should never direct a refund it to a bank account you do not control, because if the person who owns the account will not give you the money, you have no legal recourse with the IRS.  Since they deposited the money exactly where where you told them, they can’t help you get it back.

account

But ı am not at my home address now how can ı solve this problem 

account

@canberkizgii wrote:

But ı am not at my home address now how can ı solve this problem 

The IRS will not accept a request to change the deposit account, since someone who calls them might be spoofing them.  You can call them to cancel the deposit and mail a check, or you can just wait and they will mail a check if the deposit bounces.  

If you aren't at your mailing address, did you set up mail forwarding with the post office?  That might get the check to you.  If you have permanently moved, you can send the IRS a change of address form, but I don't know if it will affect this year's refund.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

If a check is issued (according to "where's my refund") and you don't get it after 4 weeks, you can start a trace procedure.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies