turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ovillar

I dont have a filers federal ID number from the University that I have been going to. I am done with classes, I go back to the university to work on my thesis for a DMin. What do I need to do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I dont have a filers federal ID number from the University that I have been going to. I am done with classes, I go back to the university to work on my thesis for a DMin. What do I need to do

You will probably need your University's "EIN" (their taxpayer ID number, which is somewhat similar to a person's Social Security Number) if you wish to claim an educational tax credit or benefit, or if you received a W-2, or 1099, income statement from them, and you now need to report it on your own income tax return.

Obtaining the EIN should be relatively straightfoward; it's a routine request.  Moreover, you have a legal right to know it, if you are claiming a related tax benefit or reporting taxable income, based on your activities at the University.  Usually, in cases like these, a simple phone call inquiry, or an in-person visit, to the University's Registrar office, will get you what you need.

The EIN should be 9-digits long, and appear in a format like:  XX-YYYYYYY

In the unlikely event that the University is unwilling to provide you with this simple information, and they require a more formal request mechanism, you can fill out and then present them with an IRS Form W-9:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

This is an official document used by taxpayers to (legally) request the tax ID number of another person or entity, for a legitimate purpose.  This legitimate purpose would include the necessity of known their EIN number, so that you can file your own tax return.

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies