Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lina605
Returning Member

Can I report a 1099Q from a 529 plan and college expenses on my return even though my daughter is no longer my dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I report a 1099Q from a 529 plan and college expenses on my return even though my daughter is no longer my dependent?

Yes, if the 1099-Q is in your name and SS#.  But, you can only report the college expenses for purposes of the 529 plan earnings exclusion. You may not claim a tuition credit.

Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if the student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, if the 1099-Q is in your name and SS#.  But, you can only report the college expenses for purposes of the 529 plan earnings exclusion. You may not claim a tuition credit.

Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if the student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

Hal_Al
Level 15

If the student (or the person claiming her as a dependent) is claiming a tuition credit; you have to coordinate with her.  You cannot use the same expenses, on your return, that she uses to claim the credit on her return.

If the qualified education expenses were at least the amount of the distribution, and were for the benefit of the named beneficiary, there is no requirement to report the 1099-Q.  If you do choose to report the 1099-Q, and if there expenses, as stated, were at least the distribution and for the beneficiary, there is no tax liability.

See attached PDF for reporting process

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies