turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Would I say that I make payments for student loans if I took out loans for college?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Would I say that I make payments for student loans if I took out loans for college?

Did you make any payments?   You do not enter that you took out loans----you enter the interest for the payments made,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RayW7
Expert Alumni

You might be paying back loans you took to finance higher education. If so, you could qualify to deduct up to $2,500 of student loan interest per return per year. You can claim the student loan interest tax deduction as an adjustment to income. You don’t need to itemize deductions to claim it.

Student loan interest is interest you paid during the year on a qualified student loan. A qualified student loan is a loan you took out only to pay qualified education expenses that were:

• For you, your spouse, or a person who was your dependent when you took out the loan
  • Paid or incurred within a reasonable period of time before or after you took out the loan
  • For education provided during an academic period for an eligible student

Loans from these sources aren’t considered qualified student loans:

• Related person
  • Qualified employer plan

Qualified education expenses are the total costs to attend an eligible school. This includes graduate school. The costs include:

• Tuition and fees
  • Room and board
  • Books, supplies, and equipment
  • Other necessary expenses, like transportation

You can usually claim the student loan tax deduction if you meet all these requirements:

• Your filing status is any status except married filing separately.
  • No one else is claiming you as a dependent.
  • You’re legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan.
  • You paid interest on a qualified student loan.

If you’re married filing jointly:

• You can deduct the full $2,500 if your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is $135,000 or less.
  • Your deduction is gradually reduced if your modified AGI is more than $135,000 but less than $165,000.
  • You can’t claim a deduction if your modified AGI is $165,000 or more.

If you’re filing as single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er):

• You can claim the full $2,500 deduction if your modified AGI is $65,000 or less.
  • Your deduction is gradually reduced if your modified AGI is between $65,000 and $80,000.
  • You can’t claim a deduction if your modified AGI is $80,000 or more.

To learn more, see Chapter 4 of Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Higher Education at www.irs.gov.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies