lkmauldin

will I get a 1098T? If not can I still claim education expenses?

ok so I went to college from 08-2018 to 08-2019, will I receive a 1098T most of my expenses were paid in 2019. If not can I still claim education expenses?

HelenC12

If you attended an accredited college/university, yes, you should get form 1098-T. You may be able to get it online in your student account. 

Note: If you have a 1098-T from 2018 and 2019, you'll have to report them in separate years on separate tax returns. If you filed a 2018 return, you may need to amend it. 

If your college/university does not issue form 1098-T, ask them if they are accredited. If it  is, you'll be able to claim your education expenses.

Related information:

lkmauldin

Looked at my tax transcripts and it looks like they put 11,000 of my 15,000 tuition on my 2018 1098T, even though if I look at my account for school 7000+ was paid in 2019. It's a private school and yes it's accredited, is this why I would have to amend?  Sorry for all the questions just really struggling with this. Your help is much appreciated!! 

ColeenD3

Ask your school for the 1098-T. Whatever information you find on the transcript is helpful, but the amounts on the 1098-T are also reported to the IRS and the figures have to match.