Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is TurboTax and other software calculating my AOTC refund as over $1,000?

I thought the maximum refund would be $1000 for whatever amount over $4,000 paid in tuition/expenses? I paid $1,025 in school expenses and it's reflecting as that same amount as my total refund. I did have a lot of taxes I owed but I over paid estimated taxes for so I am getting a refund from that. Is it possible I'm getting the entire tuition expense back because I owed taxes, hence it's getting treated as a deduction which now because I applied the estimated taxes paid, shows up as a refund of the entire amount. Apologies if this sounds confusing. Basically, why is the AOTC giving me the entire tuition I paid back as a refund? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Why is TurboTax and other software calculating my AOTC refund as over $1,000?

Q.  Basically, why is the AOTC giving me the entire tuition I paid back as a refund? 

A. Because that's how the AOTC works.  TurboTax is doing it correctly.

The AOTC is 100% of the first $2000 of expenses.  So, $1025  of expenses is a $1025 credit. The AOTC is 25% of the next $2000, so $4000 of expenses gets you the maximum $2500 credit.  

The $1000 you may have heard of is the maximum refundable portion of the credit. The credit is 40% refundable (40% of the max $2500 = $1000).  

Note that the AOTC appears partially on line 20* (the non refundable portion) of form 1040 and line 29 (the refundable portion)

*Line 20 may include other credits from Schedule 3. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies