ritasasuquo

Why can't I input my 1098t form? Its asking for my filing status, and how much I made, and my dependents. But i can't input scholarship, expenses anywhere. Im confused.

Im filing the taxes online. And it doesn't allow me to enter the information at all.
macuser_22

The Free Edition does not support the 1098-T or educational credits - you need Deluxe or higher for more complex tax returns.

Hal_Al

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no e-filing fee. It is not available after October 15

The Free file Edition can handle a 1098-T, 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC.

The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. 

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2020 household AGI is $39,000 or less;
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

Hal_Al

There's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You usually must have actually paid tuition, not had it paid by scholarships & grants.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.