Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I enter my 1098-T? It's keeping my tuition and expenses at $0 and won't let me enter the actual amount. The prompt says that I already entered it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Why can't I enter my 1098-T? It's keeping my tuition and expenses at $0 and won't let me enter the actual amount. The prompt says that I already entered it.

Delete it and re-do it.

From the Left menu>Federal>Deductions & Credits>(All tax breaks>scroll to Education>)Expense sand Scholarships (form 1098-T) click Edit/Add>At the Your Education Expenses Summary click Delete.

When you re-do the Form 1098-T entry, follow these steps:

from TurboTax Expert KittyM:

STEP 1.) It will skip to books and supplies. KEEP GOING. You can't jump to, you can't hit back KEEP GOING as though you have entered.

STEP 2.) Do NOT put in scholarship amounts when it asks if the scholarship is listed on Box 5 of the 1098-T because you are about to double up. KEEP Going. you are about to circle back.

STEP 3.) Go through all screens. If says can't maximize because no expenses do not fret, Go all the way until it circles back to the Wages and Income screen.

STEP 4.) Go back into Education credit and hit Edit on the student. Will ask if you had education credit.

STEP 5) Once you do you may see the Summary Page of the student. Hit edit on the top one that reads Tuition.

Step 6.) Will ask if you had a 1098-T you say yes, and THERE is the 1098-T

There is no left menu.

I had to go back and take off the scholarship amount that you mention in step #2.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case.

Details:

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Also see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-form-1098-t/00/26336

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies