turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mike9598

Who files the 1098t and 1099q parent or student

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherekaB

The parent of the dependent files everything education related such as form 1098-T and 1099-Q.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
SherekaB

The parent of the dependent files everything education related such as form 1098-T and 1099-Q.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I received a 1099-Q, but am the student and a dependent and did not pay for any part of my tuition, do I still fill out the 1099-Q?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo Tax doe not guide, but actually confuses users on this subject.  The parents who claim student as a dependent enters the information.  Then, TurboTax make you lie when doing the students taxes by selecting "I did not receive a 1099-Q or 1098-T.  Bad job Turbo tax.  Get a developer to fix this, save 1,000's of people 1,000's of hours of frustration on how to handle this simple situation
IreneOku

I received Form 1099-Q for a 529 acct. which I closed in 2019 for my granddaughter.  I sent her a check for the proceeds which she used to pay college tuition.  Form 1099-Q checked box 6 which says 
the recipient (me) is not the designated beneficiary.  Who has to file? 

I see that this post is over a year old.   I am confused on why TT told me to claim in on my kids returns and not mine.  

I did the same last year without any issues, but if it is incorrect TT should fix it.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@IreneOku - Nobody needs to file the 1099-Q, sine it was all used for qualified educational expenses. 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

That said, you do need to coordinate  with the student and her parents.  For example, if they used some of the tuition expenses to claim a tax credit or deduction, you may have to pay some tax on your 1099-Q distribution. It's best explained by example. 

Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit on the parent's return

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on your return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $600

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free

60%x600= $360

You have $240 of taxable income (600-360)

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.  Students are in low tax brackets and frequently pay no tax on "taxable" scholarship.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@tamc93 

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

Read on for more on this subject.

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans)

It’s complicated.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $600

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free

60%x600= $360

You have $240 of taxable income (600-360)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may find this article helpful, as it addresses issues surrounding the form 1099-Q:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/guide-to-irs-form-1099-q-payments-from-qu...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Our income is too high to qualify for American opportunity  tax credit so I am planning to let my college son to be independent to file his own tax to qualify for this credit. He have earned income of $17k from internship and has no scholarships. 1098-T only shows box 1. Is this the way to go to maximize tax advantage?

I withdrew from 529 plan to pay for his qualified college expenses and received 1099-Q with box 2 shows earning of $6000. So, I do not need to file this 1099-Q on our return?

Then how does IRS know that the fund is being used for qualied expenses? I assume I have to maintain proper documents?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you can't claim the AOC, your son can file his own return to claim it.  Plus he has taxable internship earnings that the credit can help offset.  Enter the Total Education Expenses (tuition in Box 1 of 1098-T, room and board, books and additional expenses) in your son's return. 

If the student lives at home, you may use the school's Cost of attendance figure for room and board amount. 

The balance of expenses can be used to qualify for the American Opportunity Credit.  Yes, it's always good to keep records of expenses paid. 

He will enter both the 1099-Q and the 1098-T in his return.  If you are the Recipient, he will indicate that he is the Beneficiary (and 'Recipient is not Beneficiary'). 

Click this link for more info on Form 1099-Q

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You cannot "let" you college son claim independent.  If he meets the rules to be a dependent, he must check the box that says he CAN be claimed as a dependent.  He, almost certainly, meets the rules for being a dependent*.  What you can do is forego claiming him to allow to claim him the AOC.  But he can only claim it as a nonrefundable credit.  At $17K of income, that's only going to be about $450, less than the Other Dependent Credit ($500) you lose. 

Q. I withdrew from 529 plan to pay for his qualified college expenses and received 1099-Q with box 2 shows earning of $6000. So, I do not need to file this 1099-Q on our return?

A. Correct, if the distribution is fully covered by qualified expenses, including room and board. 

Q.  Then how does IRS know that the fund is being used for qualied expenses? I assume I have to maintain proper documents?

A. They don't, whether you enter it or not.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records.  You are correct, you have to maintain adequate records, in case (unlikely) you are contacted by the IRS.  Reports, in this forum, from people who have gotten CP2000 letters (including me) have indicated it's fairly simple to handle. I just gave em copies of the school billing statements.  The number of reports of such notices have dropped off in the last two years. 

*There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.  The 529 plan money counts as parental support. 

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies