turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where in turbotax should I enter graduate fellowship income? University didn't issue a 1099-MISC/W-2, and 1098-T only includes fellowship used for tuition.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where in turbotax should I enter graduate fellowship income? University didn't issue a 1099-MISC/W-2, and 1098-T only includes fellowship used for tuition.

It shouldn't change if you do it right.

A graduate fellowship is not self-employment income, you are a student in training, not a business person trying to make a profit.  If you entered the income as "other uncommon income" and answered the testing questions correctly, it would show up as "other income" and you would not be charged self employment tax.

However, the correct way to enter the income is to use the Education expense interview on the deductions and credits page.  After entering the 1098-T (this should not be taxable, if the stipend just equals your tuition), keep going, and there should be additional questions about scholarships and fellowships.  Your stipend is not subject to social security or medicare tax or self-employment tax but it is subject to regular income tax.

Also worth noting, that because this is not income earned from working, it is not "earned income" and does not qualify you for EIC, or certain other tax provisions that require earned income.  Reporting it incorrectly as self-employment income might make you appear eligible for those credits.  So entering the income the wrong way could create a swing in either the plus or minus direction, depending on SE tax vs. credits.  But the correct answer is to enter it as a taxable scholarship or fellowship that is more than your qualified tuition expenses. 

View solution in original post

24 Replies

there is a section for misc income.....

But there's also a section for scholarship/fellowships. Depending on where the number is entered, my tax liability changes by over 5000 bucks. Figured it would be worth asking.......

It shouldn't change if you do it right.

A graduate fellowship is not self-employment income, you are a student in training, not a business person trying to make a profit.  If you entered the income as "other uncommon income" and answered the testing questions correctly, it would show up as "other income" and you would not be charged self employment tax.

However, the correct way to enter the income is to use the Education expense interview on the deductions and credits page.  After entering the 1098-T (this should not be taxable, if the stipend just equals your tuition), keep going, and there should be additional questions about scholarships and fellowships.  Your stipend is not subject to social security or medicare tax or self-employment tax but it is subject to regular income tax.

Also worth noting, that because this is not income earned from working, it is not "earned income" and does not qualify you for EIC, or certain other tax provisions that require earned income.  Reporting it incorrectly as self-employment income might make you appear eligible for those credits.  So entering the income the wrong way could create a swing in either the plus or minus direction, depending on SE tax vs. credits.  But the correct answer is to enter it as a taxable scholarship or fellowship that is more than your qualified tuition expenses. 

sorry - I should have read your entire question.

what did you use the money for? if the fellowship was used for tuition, it is non-taxable. 

what is in Box 1 and Box 5 of form 1098T? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

As Champ Opus 17 explains above -  Any amount of fellowship you received in excess of your qualified education expenses should be reported as taxable income on your tax return.  You can add the amount that was not reported on a W-2, 1099, or 1098-T as additional scholarship income when you enter your education expenses.   This way it will be reported on Line 1 (Wages) with a SCH notation on your Form 1040.   Although, as stated above, it is not considered earned income.  

See IRS topic - how to report taxable scholarships and fellowships.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Why did you not get a 1099-Misc, W-2 or the fellowship was not included in box 5 of your 1098-T.  That is unusual, what's going on here?

One possible explanation is that it is classified as tuition waiver or reduction, available to graduate student research and teaching assistants, and which is not taxable.  See: https://www.aau.edu/sites/default/files/AAU%20Files/Key%20Issues/Taxation%20%26%20Finance/Section-11...

I think some colleges struggle with proper reporting.  Stipends for graduate students in excess of the tuition waiver should probably be reported in box 5 of the 1098–T, but I have also seen them reported in box 3 of 1099–MISC.  This is also not the first person to post on this forum (or the old forum) who didn’t get any forms at all.

I saw some of the prior posts, but was struggling with how to access the correct field in which to enter this in the newest turbotax user interface, since it didn't match a "form". Thanks y'all for helping me figure it out. 

rez87

Hi, 

I have the same problem. The university does not provide W-2 or any other form for my stipend (taxable fellowship used for non-educational expenses).

However, I can not find anywhere to enter the amount of my income from the fellowship in Turbotax.

Do you have any idea where should I enter the information?

Thanks

Hal_Al
Level 15

In the education expenses interview, you will be asked if you had any additional scholarships , not shown on a 1098-T, W-2 1099.  Enter there.

janetlo

FYI to the turbo tax pple - Post graduate fellowships are not always utilized by a student.  Please update your questions so that the amount can be added on the wages line as SCHO for those that were not working on a degree in the calendar year!  There is no 1099 or 1098T form for this type of fellowship.  The person earning the money was not a student so they answer no to the student questions.  

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@janetlo.  The correct way to enter the taxable portion of your fellowship income is to use the Deduction & Credits section of TurboTax.  Rather than selecting a specific topic under the topic heading Education, select instead "Visit All."  When you select Visit All, you will be asked questions about education expenses.  After the page Tell Us About Your Education Plans, you will see your Education Summary page.  Because it appears you have already starting entering information in this section, select Edit, and make whatever changes you need to make. 

After entering some basic information on just a few pages in this section, we were able to enter in our test return $1,000 of a taxable fellowship grant on line 1, Form 1040, with the words SCH on that line.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do not see a Visit All option under Deductions & Credits -> Education. After I state I didn't receive a 1098 and qualify for an exception from receiving one because the university isn't required to send one, it asks the name of the school I attended. I wasn't a student, I didn't have to pay tuition, I received a fellowship without expectation of specific job duties. I don't see anywhere to include it with the SCH note on line 1 either. The university claims they are not required to report anything. They have hundreds of people like me who receive such fellowships. Any tips?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@emprice99  Good, you know it goes on line 1 of form 1040 with the SCH notation.

Even though you didn't "go to school", you need to enter it at  Education: Expenses and Scholarships section of TT, to get it on line 1 with the SCH notation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies