Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Where do i go to enter a 1098 school form

3 Replies
Level 15

Where do i go to enter a 1098 school form

Expert Alumni

Where do i go to enter a 1098 school form

Here's how to get to the 1098-T screen if you haven't visited the Education section yet:

  1. Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for 1098t and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the Education Expenses screen, answer Yes to Did you go to college or vocational school?
  4. Select the student whose name is on the 1098-T and answer the questions that follow (the type of degree, full-or half-time, etc.)
  5. After you enter the name of the school, the next screen will ask if that school sent you a 1098-T. Answer Yes and proceed.

From the Education Expenses Summary screen you can:

  • Select Add A Student if you need to enter a 1098-T for someone else (and then resume steps 4 and 5 above); or
  • Select Edit to revisit the 1098-T for a previously-entered school or Add New School to enter a new 1098-T.

Some important tips about entering this form:

  • Parents: If the student listed on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return – even if your dependent paid the tuition.
  • Students: If you're not being claimed as a dependent, you can enter the 1098-T on your return regardless of who paid the tuition unless it was your employer. In that case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

Where do i go to enter a 1098 school form

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 


If the student is parent's dependent, only they can claim the tuition credit, so the 1098-T is entered on their return.  If  scholarships (not loans) exceed  tuition and other qualified expenses, the 1098-T goes on the student's return.  Sometimes both.


There's even a loop hole available to claim the credit, if the student is on scholarship. See



Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings