Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Where do i enter employer paid tuition

Half of my 1098T payments were paid by my employer. Do I subtract what they paid and enter what I paid in Box 1 or how does that work?
1 Reply
New Member

Where do i enter employer paid tuition

Most likely yes; you can probably do just what you propose in your question, as long as the 1098-T Box amount was exactly one-half paid by you, and if you did not have the tuition assistance reported to you on your W-2 as taxable wage income.  But, you will want to verify that the 1098-T Box amount is really the full total of your tuition, and not just what was billed to you -- if your employer paid your school separately.

Assuming that the1098-T Box 1 figure is accurate, this will (mechanically) be a valid method of data entry in TurboTax.  Just use the regular software interview to begin the deductions section comprising expenses and scholarships.

In addition, we would also recommend that you read the brief chapter (it's just one page) on Employer-Provided Educational Assistance, as found on Page 65 of IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) for some further background information.  Here is a courtesy link to that document:

Thank you for asking this important question.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings