turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter employer paid tuition

Half of my 1098T payments were paid by my employer. Do I subtract what they paid and enter what I paid in Box 1 or how does that work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Where do i enter employer paid tuition

Most likely yes; you can probably do just what you propose in your question, as long as the 1098-T Box amount was exactly one-half paid by you, and if you did not have the tuition assistance reported to you on your W-2 as taxable wage income.  But, you will want to verify that the 1098-T Box amount is really the full total of your tuition, and not just what was billed to you -- if your employer paid your school separately.

Assuming that the1098-T Box 1 figure is accurate, this will (mechanically) be a valid method of data entry in TurboTax.  Just use the regular software interview to begin the deductions section comprising expenses and scholarships.

In addition, we would also recommend that you read the brief chapter (it's just one page) on Employer-Provided Educational Assistance, as found on Page 65 of IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) for some further background information.  Here is a courtesy link to that document:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Thank you for asking this important question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies