Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I claim my daughters swim class? I use this time to study and further my degree for work, it's a graduate degree. My wife and other baby are 1:1 in another pool

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Where can I claim my daughters swim class? I use this time to study and further my degree for work, it's a graduate degree. My wife and other baby are 1:1 in another pool

It depends. One of the requirements to deduct child-care expenses, such as your daughter's swim class, is that "You paid caregiving expenses so that you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) could work or look for work" (The work/look for work requirement for one spouse is waived if s/he was a full-time student or Disabled, if they lived with the other spouse for more than 6 months in 2018)

If the swim lessons were just for fun or enrichment for her but not so that you or your spouse could work, it is a personal expense that is not deductible.

Child and Dependent Care expenses are entered under Deductions & Credits/Child and Dependent Care Credit and are reported on Form 2441 of your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

It depends. One of the requirements to deduct child-care expenses, such as your daughter's swim class, is that "You paid caregiving expenses so that you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) could work or look for work" (The work/look for work requirement for one spouse is waived if s/he was a full-time student or Disabled, if they lived with the other spouse for more than 6 months in 2018)

If the swim lessons were just for fun or enrichment for her but not so that you or your spouse could work, it is a personal expense that is not deductible.

Child and Dependent Care expenses are entered under Deductions & Credits/Child and Dependent Care Credit and are reported on Form 2441 of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies