Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if your college student was required to stay in college dormatory for first year? Can I claim as an expense?

I am trying to figure out all the fees and expenses that I can claim that the college has required all first year students. Fees include, dormatory, fee called "maditory fee", matriculation fee,admin fees..etc

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

What if your college student was required to stay in college dormatory for first year? Can I claim as an expense?

You don't say which credit you are talking about, or tuition, or a 529 plan.  The list of "qualifying expenses" is slightly different for each type of tax break.  

Generally, room and board is never eligible for any tax breaks, even if the school requires the student to live on campus.  (The student would have required food and a place to stay no matter what, and personal living expenses are not eligible  for tax breaks.)  And if a scholarship is more than tuition so that it is partly used for room and board, that part is taxable.  However, I believe room and board might be allowable for a 529 plan.

Review publication 970 for the type of credit or tax break you are interested in. https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-970

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies