Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arama471

What if my university is in Canada and gave me a T-220A (Canadian university tax form) and not a 1098-T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

What if my university is in Canada and gave me a T-220A (Canadian university tax form) and not a 1098-T?

To be eligible for education credits the institution must be an "eligible institution."  Some foreign universities are, most aren't, which precludes education credits for costs paid there. 

An eligible educational institution is a college eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) post-secondary institutions in the US. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.

You can do an on-line search for eligible institutions. (Note when searching that the drop down menu for "state" includes areas such as Canada and "Foreign Countries."  Only the Government would list Canada and other foreign countries as states!)

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not need a 1098-T to claim an education credit. You may use your own records, to calculate the credit, if your school is an "eligible institution"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies