Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I enrolled in a Career Diploma Program through Penn Foster Career School. It was a 6 month program and I earned a passing grade with a diploma. Do I get credit

I paid a one time fee of 509.00 to enroll in the program

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I enrolled in a Career Diploma Program through Penn Foster Career School. It was a 6 month program and I earned a passing grade with a diploma. Do I get credit

Usually, these types of programs don't count because of the school not being an eligible educational institution.  That said, you can check out this link to the US Department of Education Database of Accredited Schools to see if your school is listed there.  If it’s there, you are good to go, according to the IRS. 

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education.  Virtually all accredited public non-profit, proprietary (privately-owned profit-making) post- secondary institutions.

Here is a link with more information about Education Tax Benefits that you may want to read:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301953

Also, if the school does qualify it would be for the Lifetime Learning Credit (tuition and fees deduction).

What is the tuition and fees deduction?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302271

Penn Foster IS listed on the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. Their 

DAPIP ID is 188100. 

However, I was under the impression that Penn foster programs were NOT eligible to receive any tax credits. This would go against what was said above: "That said, you can check out this link to the US Department of Education Database of Accredited Schools to see if your school is listed there.  If it’s there, you are good to go,according to the IRS."

Anybody else have any input on this?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, Penn Foster is not eligible for claiming federal education tax credits

"Q. Can I claim Penn Foster on my taxes?

A. No, students shouldn’t claim their Penn Foster tuition payments on their federal or state tax returns. Because we do not participate in the United States Department of Education student aid programs, we are not an eligible institution for students to claim or qualify for various tax credits. With this in mind, we do not send students or graduates 1098 forms or any other paperwork needed for filing your yearly return."

PennFoster

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CC01

It is on the list so can I claim my tuition fees?

CC01

Why is it on the list if you can't claim the tuition fees?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  There is no limit on the number of years you can use this credit for undergraduate, graduate and professional degree courses, including ones to improve job skills.

Click this link for info on  the types of Education Credits you may qualify for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this is total bs my wife received one from them and did her taxes with it in 2018 . I just gradated the hs diploma too. feel bad for people who just ask the wrong people.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies