turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Took 529 distro to pay for daughter and son college. Got 1 1099q form with me as recipient. Entered 1099q into turbo but only allows 1 beneficiary. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Took 529 distro to pay for daughter and son college. Got 1 1099q form with me as recipient. Entered 1099q into turbo but only allows 1 beneficiary. What do I do?

I have 529 acct for each child. When I took distros for each child for legitimate expense, I elected to have the funds paid to me and I paid the colleges. I received 1 1099Q representing combined total distro for both kids rather than one 1099q for each child. TurboTax treats one 1099q as applying to 1 student. I can make turbo tax think I got two 1099q's putting the correct amounts per child but I risk the IRS not understanding it since they only get 1 1099q. Or I guess I can ask 529 for 2 1099qs. . probably what I should do.. . .
Hal_Al
Level 15

You'll have to split the 1099-Q and enter it as two separate 1099-Qs.
There's no risk with the IRS, for doing so.  The IRS only matches total 1099-S dollars

I would ask the 529 for separate 1099-Qs. If for no other reason to let them know that tax software can't handle a combined 1099-Q and they've done you disservice by doing so.
Hal_Al
Level 15

A 529 plan can only have one beneficiary. If you use some of the money for your 2nd child, that is a non qualified distribution and subject to tax and penalty.

If you want to use the money for the other child, you first have to open a new 529 account and then rollover some of the money. The 529 plan administrator can show you how to do that. Then, take a distribution.

Yes, it's a bunch of hoops to jump thru, but that's the rules.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies