Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The system doesn't apply form 8863 for the lifetime Learning Credit. How does this get applied?

My son went to school in England.   This was applied in 2020 and 2021 but isn't being applied for 2022?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The system doesn't apply form 8863 for the lifetime Learning Credit. How does this get applied?

We can't see your tax return so we can't tell you why he didn't get the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).  In TurboTax, verify that the information was entered correctly. 

You can take the Lifetime Learning Credit every year for higher education, as long as you meet all of these qualifying requirements:

• You, your dependent, or a third party paid qualified education expenses for higher education at an eligible educational institution
  • The qualified education expenses were for an eligible student
  • The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent on your tax return
  • For the full credit, your 2022 modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is less than $90,000 ($180,000 if you are filing jointly)
    • For a reduced credit, your MAGI is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if you're filing jointly)

For additional information see:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found the answer on my own.   The foreign address button needs to be selected to apply an address out of the country.   At first I didn't recognize the difference.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies