Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't receive my 1098-t

I have not received my 1098-t for 2015 and I was told that I may not get one. I did not pay out of pocket for school, I received a federal direct loan as well as a pell grant. Do I need to file my 1098-t?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollieB

Yes, you can claim education credit or deduction if you did not receive a form 1098T .  After you enter the school name in the Education section, you will be asked if you received a Form 1098 from this school.  Answer no, and you will be asked to enter the qualified expense on the next screen.  This includes all expenses whether paid by a loan or a grant.  Your grant income input will be asked for later and will reduce the qualified expense amount. Expenses paid for with school loans are the same as being paid by you and may qualify you for a credit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bigdaddy69
Returning Member

so why is the school not sending me one?

What if they didn’t send you a 1098 and turbo tax is asking for a federal file number but you don’t know what it is?
MollieB

Yes, you can claim education credit or deduction if you did not receive a form 1098T .  After you enter the school name in the Education section, you will be asked if you received a Form 1098 from this school.  Answer no, and you will be asked to enter the qualified expense on the next screen.  This includes all expenses whether paid by a loan or a grant.  Your grant income input will be asked for later and will reduce the qualified expense amount. Expenses paid for with school loans are the same as being paid by you and may qualify you for a credit.

If my grant and loan exceeded my tuition bill and I received a refund for unused money, do I include that?
MollieB

You would not enter more than the total qualified education expenses, including tuition, as an expense.  Even if you had loan proceeds in excess of your expenses.  If you got a refund of tuition, do not include it as an expense.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies