Solved: Since FAFSA allows room & board to be covered under their loans which would more than cover room and board, am I safe to write off what I paid as tuition?

Since FAFSA allows room & board to be covered under their loans which would more than cover room and board, am I safe to write off what I paid as tuition?

In determining education tax breaks, the IRS requires you to reduced qualified education expenses (tuition and fees) by tax free education benefits (like scholarships and grants) for the amount that you can use for educational tax breaks. 

In the list you provided, the sum of the bottom 5 items represent total qualified education expenses. The two educational grants and the two scholarships, are your tax free education benefits that will reduce your total education education expenses. Your net qualified education expenses (from the list above) is 1,270 dollars.