turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

103 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

Simply owing money on student loans or even being behind in payments isn't going to trigger an offset.  Your student loan company would have had to place the formal offset request with the Treasury Department and they don't always do that depending on how behind in payments you are currently.  But, a word of caution, the offset hotline isn't always 100% accurate - sometimes it won't reflect recent additions and an offset can be placed in the time between your filing of the return and when your refund is paid out.

i am in default on my student loans due to some major personal issues! i’m not someone that just didn’t pay! ok. .  i have been calling the hotline every day and they say no offset... my refund should be here within the next week.  should i be concerned?

The offset lookup number says neither my wife or I have any offsets, WMR said deposit would be on the 22nd up until the 22nd and now it says our refund was offset smh she does have student loans but they have said closed on CK for years.. a few years ago we had our refund offset but have gotten them every year since then out of nowhere, with no warning and seemingly no holds to speak of, it's taken when we needed it the most lmao

let me ask you this... how long were the loans in default?   my refund says still processed but offset number says no offsets. does WMR tell you there was an offset?

It does now, but it said to expect a deposit today all the way up until today and now it says it was offset smh but the loans are old and have been closed on Credit Karma for years.. we were offset once before they were closed but have gotten our return every year since until now for some reason

hmm my loans just went into default in november... i like you says. desperately need my refund..

rhey been in default for a year n half but WMR says therea a delay n processing code 1541.   but like 1,000s of people r getting this same message???? I'm so xpnfused...
kmyers893

Same no offset on automatic number then today my refund was taken due to offset I called my school creditor they said they haven’t received a pay out so full wgats going on waited 2 hrs on the phone for the ppl but never got through for answers of who took it

so are most of your school loan defaults older?? mine have been delinquent for a while but just defaulted in november.. i’m wondering if i should be concerned. nothing on automated message and refund info is same as everyone else’s.. ‘your tax return is being processed.’
Searfoss6

The treasury line is wrong..
I guess not updated because of the shut down. The treasury says no offset but my 8843.00 is gone to student loans from 1997.

1997??? and they are just taking it now???  they wait that long??

If you have the topic 203 on the irs website you are being offset. That’s what is happening to me and I’ve been in default for a few months and they are garnishing my paycheck from work. Can never get in touch with them and now they are taking my whole tax return.

i do not have that tax topic... just by 2/27 date

My wife just went into default on student loans but we just married and first time filing jointly the where's my refund app says a DD date of February 27th and there is no tax topic 203 or adjusted amount and the treasury says no offsets on either social security number...also state has no adjusted amounts either know she went into default or I would have taken care of it like all other bills but am worried because we need this refund just like others should I be worried or am I crazy like she thinks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies