Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I paid for my child's college tuition, $3760.00. Is that deductible?

Capture 1.JPGThis discussion is ALL about IRS regs. I just want to know how to get TT to let me ENTER the amount of tuition paid. In the Education section it says $0, and that I entered the figure previously. 

But I didn't.

How/where can I enter the amount of tuition paid??

Sheesh. Been using TT for years now, but this may be it...

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit
  • At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TCMAR
Returning Member

Hello there, I understood the above message. but my question is, I paid more than the amount shown on the 1098T, so can I show the total amount actually I paid?  

Thank you in advance !

Hal_Al
Level 15

@TCMAR  - Yes.

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" underneath box 1. You will then be able to enter the actual amounts paid. 

The 1098-T is only any informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception (the TurboTax interview will handle this)

TCMAR
Returning Member

Where can I enter my Daughter's 2019 tuition fees which is mentioned on the 1098-T ? no matter where I enter that number stay 0..  Which Box should I enter the information from 1098-T? and which box should I use for the additional expense I had beside what it mentioned  on the 1098-T form ? Will appreciate your help?

Regards

Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case.

TCMAR
Returning Member

Thank you very much for the information.  

Of course, but Turbo Tax provides no place to add tuition expense that I can see--once I am on to the books section--I see "0" for tuition with the remarkable statement that I already entered tuition. What am I missing?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@brookdavid117 

You skipped or mis-entered the 1st step. 

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case.

I paid in advance tuition fees for my son spring semester 2020 fees in 2019. Can i qualify to deduct in 2020.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I paid in advance tuition fees for my son spring semester 2020 fees in 2019. Can i qualify to deduct in 2020?

A. No. It should have been claimed on your 2019 tax return.  It cannot be claimed on your 2020 return, because it wasn't paid in 2020.   It's not optional.

1) are expenses for dormitory and food plan (required at my daughter's college) deductible?

2) what form do I use to file her college expenses

3) what if my daughter is a U.S. permanent resident, but not a US citizen

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1) are expenses for dormitory and food plan (required at my daughter's college) deductible?

A 2). No.

Q 2) what form do I use to file her college expenses?

A2). Form 8863*.  Tuition, fees, books and other course materials (including a computer) are qualified expenses for the American Opportunity Tuition Credit.  It's a tax credit, not a deduction. 

Q3) what if my daughter is a U.S. permanent resident, but not a US citizen?

A3). Yes

*In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Education

--Education Expenses

Pbellini

Can you let me know what part of the code you are reading?

can you point where are your reading this from?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can claim your student as your Dependent (unless they are over 24) and you provided over half their support.  It doesn't matter how much they earned.  Paying their own expenses with grant/loans/scholarships doesn't count as 'supporting yourself'.  If they lived away from home while attending school, indicate that 'they lived with you all year'. 

It doesn't matter who paid their Education Expenses, you or them.  If you claim them as your dependent, you can claim their Education Expenses on your return.

Here's IRS Info on Education Tax Benefits. 

@Pbellini 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies