Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CMS7
Level 1

Up-Front Fee for Study Abroad

My daughter had to pay a deposit for her study abroad.  I want to enter it as a college expense, because we withdrew money from her Section 529 to pay it.  Where should I enter that in the Turbotax interview page?  None of the categories seem to fit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Presuming you paid your daughter's university for her study abroad, it would be considered a qualified education expense, since it was necessary for her to participate in the program.

To enter your details from the Section 529 Plan distribution, enter 1099-Q in the search box and click the Jump to link.

For more details, see:

Guide to IRS Form 1099-Q: Payments from Qualified Education Programs

2020 IRS Publication 970: Eligible educational institution. An eligible educational institution is one whose primary function is the presentation of formal instruction and that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it regularly carries on its educational activities.

CMS7
Level 1

Thanks.  Your answer made sense and I appreciated the tip on using "jump to".  It looks as though the education costs can't be entered from the 1098-Q spot, though.  I believe I probably should just enter is "Other Books and Course-Related Materials" under Expenses and Scholarships.  Does that make sense?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, that makes sense. 

You can enter the tuition, fees, and books relating to the study abroad, but don't include the cost of travel. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies