turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part-time or Full-time College Student Dependent?

I turned 22 years old in 2020. I was enrolled in a college program all 12 months of 2020, but not at full-time status according to my college. I am I able to be claimed as a dependent? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit.

Since you were not a full time student and are over 18, you cannot be a QC dependent.  We then look to see if you can be a standard dependent.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4300 (2020).
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

I believe I qualify as a Relative Dependent. In this case I must indicate that "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return." correct? As for "And this person will claim me on their 2020 tax return." I am going to indicate No because the individual choses not to claim me as a dependent. Thank you.

Hal_Al
Level 15

That is correct,

But why is the other person not claiming you?  They lose out on the $500 Other dependent credit because they don't claim you, but you still  lose out on the $1800 stimulus because you CAN be claimed.

I will have to discuss it with them again. I was unaware I would be able to receive stimulus being claimed as a dependent?

Hal_Al
Level 15

" I was unaware I would be able to receive stimulus being claimed as a dependent?"

No.  Just the opposite. You can only get the stimulus if  you are not claimed as a dependent AND you do not check the box on your form 1040 that says you CAN be claimed as a dependent. 

Okay that is what I thought originally. I read your previous statement wrong. My apologies. So basically I don't get the stimulus either way because I must indicate that I can be claimed (via relative dependent), and by being claimed they at least receive the $500 credit?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies