turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CAC5

My daughter go American Opportunity tax credit last year, why isn't the software showing it?

I entered "1" to the question, How many prior years did your child receive the American Opportunity tax credit.  But when I review the 8863 tax form, it shows that my daughter did not get it in past years and follows a different path on form 8863.  It looks like the software has a programming error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

My daughter go American Opportunity tax credit last year, why isn't the software showing it?

Nothing needs fixing. Form 8863 does NOT show how many times the American Opportunity tax credit (AOTC) has been claimed, in the past. It only indicates (on line 23) whether it has already been claimed 4 times (a yes or no check box). In your case, line 23 should be checked NO.

Actual wording from the form:

23  Has the Hope Scholarship Credit or American opportunity credit been claimed for this student for any 4 tax years before 2019?
Yes — Stop! Go to line 31 for this student.

No — Go to line 24.

CAC5

Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies