turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

international school w/o 1098T, maybe non-qualified

My child attends an international university.  The university has a Fafsa ID number, however, it didn't work when filling out the fafsa.  I called the school financial aid office and they told me that they are non-participating in the U.S. federal student aid program, however, they have a fafsa ID number which allows continued deferment of loans while you're in school.  We have no loans.   I assume reading the requirements that this means the school is non-qualified for any federal tax credits or deductions (although it is a 4 year accredited degree program).

So my questions are:

Since there is no 1098T and the school appears to be non-qualifying, we can not take any credits for tuition.  What about books, fees, and supplies not typically reported on a 1098-T?

Can we use my daughter's ESA for tuition payments?

Can we use my daughters 529 for tuition, room and board?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If your school is not a qualifying entity under the Student Aid program, you cannot take any education credits including those for books/fees and supplies.   Per IRS, to qualify for an education credit, the school must be an educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S Department of Education whether they have a FAFSA id or not.  To verify, I am attaching the following link which includes a list of the qualifying schools. If your school is not on the list, you cannot claim the benefit.   https://ifap.ed.gov/ifap/fedSchoolCodeList.jsp   Under Federal School Code List, select  2019-2020 Federal School Code List in Excel Format

For claiming an education credit, the set of qualified educational expenses is different than those under the 529 or ESA plans.  If your school is not a qualifying school ( based on the above blue link), you cannot claim any of the expenses even though they are qualified expenses under the 529 or ESA plans. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the confirmation.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies