Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlberg

Where can I find out how many years of the American Opportunity Credit I have claimed?

I finished my bachelors degree this spring 2015 and don't know how many years I have claimed the American Opportunity Credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Where can I find out how many years of the American Opportunity Credit I have claimed?

If you have copies of your prior year tax returns, you can check them to see how many times you claimed the credit. If you started college in 2011 and were a student for four years in a row, from Fall Semester of 2011 to Spring Semester of 2015, it is  possible that you claimed the American Opportunity Credit  in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

If you don't have copies of your prior year tax returns, but you prepared them using TurboTax, you can unlock access to those returns by purchasing PLUS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2758553-how-to-unlock-prior-year-returns-through-turbotax-online

If you didn't use TurboTax, you can request transcripts of these returns from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Request-a-Transcript-or-Copy-of-a-Prior-Year-Tax-Return

In any case, you would see an entries on line 50 &68 of your 1040  or lines 33 &44 of your 1040-A for years that you claimed the credit.

However, if your parents claimed you as a dependent during any of those years, the credit should have been claimed on their tax return, not yours.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

18 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If you have copies of your prior year tax returns, you can check them to see how many times you claimed the credit. If you started college in 2011 and were a student for four years in a row, from Fall Semester of 2011 to Spring Semester of 2015, it is  possible that you claimed the American Opportunity Credit  in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

If you don't have copies of your prior year tax returns, but you prepared them using TurboTax, you can unlock access to those returns by purchasing PLUS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2758553-how-to-unlock-prior-year-returns-through-turbotax-online

If you didn't use TurboTax, you can request transcripts of these returns from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Request-a-Transcript-or-Copy-of-a-Prior-Year-Tax-Return

In any case, you would see an entries on line 50 &68 of your 1040  or lines 33 &44 of your 1040-A for years that you claimed the credit.

However, if your parents claimed you as a dependent during any of those years, the credit should have been claimed on their tax return, not yours.

so does this mean that if the parents claimed you as a dependent for the first of the 4 years that this does not count toward your four years?
davman_12

i also need to know this
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbox tax also shows Ive already claimed for years of AOC credits. My child entered college Fall 2015.  She is graduating Spring 2018.   I do have my TurboTax prior tax returns.  I show I've only claimed credit 3 times.   Why does TurboTax show otherwise?
MJ1988

Hi IsabellaG,

I do not see lines 50 & 68 on my 1040 form.  My 1040 form that I am looking at only goes up to line 46.  Maybe there are some specific wordings I should be looking for on the form?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The tax forms have changed dramatically since the original question first posted. There are no more lines 50,68,or 46 in the 2019 1040.

I took money out of a 529 for a nondependents college tuition where on the turbo tax program do I offset the gains to be tax-free

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@bverlyknshg

To enter offsetting expenses in TurboTax Online,

1. Click Federal in the left pane
  2. Click Deductions & Credits tab
  3. Under All tax breaks, click the button next to Education
  4. Click the button next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  5. Start the interview, and you'll be able to add Education Expenses
elocinshadow
Returning Member

how do we find this? I have a 8863 forum with my 2019 return but not on my 2018. So how do I know if I claimed for 2 years or 1 year? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

The only place to get that is from your own records.  Fortunately, it's been a line item on form 1040, for several years:

2019  line 18c

2018  line 17c

2017 & earlier  line 68  (line 44 on form 1040A)

I also need to know this. I was in school back in 1999-2003 and I don't remember, neither did I use turbo tax. Do you know whether AOC or the Lifetime credit was offered that long ago? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not need to account for any Lifetime Learning Credits (LLC), you claimed.  There is no limit on the number of times the LLC can be claimed. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC) dates from 2009. It's predecessor, the Hope Credit dates from 1999.  Any Hope credits claimed by either you or your parents (on your education) count for the 4 time limit on claiming the AOC.

Back then, there was a line for the education credit on form 1040, with the details shown on form 8863 (same as more recent forms).  No part of the Hope credit (unlike the AOC) was refundable.  It could only be used to offset  a tax liability. 

Thanks. I don't think you could use this for doctorate level tuition expenses. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You may use the Lifetime Learning Credits (LLC) for post graduate education, but not the  American Opportunity Credit (AOC).  The AOC is only for the first 4 years of post secondary education. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies