turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i owe 10000 in child support and 10000 in student loans who gets my tax refund ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

If i owe 10000 in child support and 10000 in student loans who gets my tax refund ?

Child Support debt would be offset first.

According to the IRS' Internal Revenue Manual 21.4.6 (08/31/2018):

The priority of offsets within Treasury Offset Program are:

1. Office of Child Support Enforcement
    - Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) (payments to the state) and/or
    - Non-Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (non-TANF) (payments to the custodial parent through the state)
  2. Federal Agencies
  3. State Income Tax obligations
  4. Unemployment Compensation

So if i have a 8000 dlr tax return child support gets the full amount? And not the student loan?
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Right.  The Treasury Offset Program will offset in the order above, so if you have $10,000 owed for Child Support, and have an $8,000 refund, the whole thing will offset to Child Support.
Lmd14

If I owed child support for a past case for a child who is now 26, and child support to another parent for a minor child who is still underage, would they not send it to the minor child’s parent first? Or will they split it up between the two? My checks are being garnished for both but the minor child’s parent always gets a bigger percentage. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies