turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

isazavala

If both me and my parents paid for my tuition, who does claims the 1098-T

So both me and my parents chipped in to pay for my tuition and other expenses. My parents claimed me as a dependent. Can I still enter the higher education expenses or only they can?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@isazavala  Honestly either or both of you can.  Education expenses are considered that you both paid it.  You can only claim what was paid for school and only up to $10k in total between all of you  so you can't double dip and you must offset it by any scholarships.  Whatever way gives you the best benefit is the answer.   

There is many nuances even to the extent of characterizing portions of scholarships as income to students that are for room and board allow parents to claim more. That is a bit more complex though.

Normally best is parents to claim unless the parents are high income or extremely low income  and don't benefit from the deductions, only then would it make sense for the student.

So for a simple answer. Go with what gives your family the best turn out from the IRS.

I hope this was helpful.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: Only your parents.  The rule is: whoever claims the student's dependency claims the tuition credit.  

But, taxes aren't simple.  While technically there is a provision that allows you to claim a tuition credit, from a practical matter it seldom works out.  A student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he/she supports himself by working . He/she cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  

If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. 

isazavala

My parents did not claim me as a dependent. Do I take the credit then?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Whoever claims the student is the Taxpayer that can claim an education credit if an education credit is available. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  My parents did not claim me as a dependent. Do I take the credit then?

A.  Maybe

Technically there is a provision that allows the student to claim a tuition credit. But,  from a practical matter it seldom works out.  An unmarried student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he/she supports himself by working . She cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  

If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOTC shifts to all non refundable)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies