Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I think I know the answer, but not sure. If you are a cosigner on a student loan, can the cosigner claim the interest or can it only be claimed by the student?

To clarify, my son made the payments, I am just the cosigner.  Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I think I know the answer, but not sure. If you are a cosigner on a student loan, can the cosigner claim the interest or can it only be claimed by the student?

A co-signer can claim the interest IF the co-signer actually made the payments---which you say you did not make.  If your son made the payments he can take the deduction for the interest on his own tax return---unless he is still being claimed a dependent or is filing married filing separately--which would disqualify him from using the deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you !!  Appreciate the quick reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies