turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

czempel12

I am 19, fulltime student, did not live with my parents 50% of the year, have $7,701 at least in loans (parents have $4,230), and made at least $2,000. Am I a dependent?

I read multiple answers on here and still am very confused. I made 2,188.00 according to my 1099 form. On my 1098-T, it says under Box 1, 9379.59. My parents had a parent plus loan back in Spring 2020 for $4,830.00 actually. I did not live under their household for over 50% of the year, but how do I prove that? Also, would I be doing more than 50% of my own support as I have more loans out than them and did not live in their household? Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I am 19, fulltime student, did not live with my parents 50% of the year, have $7,701 at least in loans (parents have $4,230), and made at least $2,000. Am I a dependent?

Living away from home while at college does not count as not living at home, if you return home when out of school.  School is considered a 'temporary absence' from home, even if it is more than half the year. 

If you supported yourself with student loan funds while away at school, this does not count as 'supporting yourself'. 

Click this link for more info on Did I Support Myself.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
czempel12

I did not live at college either. I didn’t live at my parents residence or college. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

When did you move out and where di you move to and why? And how long to you plan to be there and do you intend to return to your parent's home.  Living off campus is still considered a temporary absence from your parent's home. 

Even if  your living situation qualifies as not living with your parents for more than half the year (the residence test), you still haven't provided enough information to answer your question "Am I a dependent?"

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

The support test is different for each type. The support test, for a QC, is only that the child didn't provide more than half his own support. The support test for a Qualifying Relative is that the taxpayer provided more than half the relative's support.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, while you did live with them, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Hal_Al
Level 15

This question is usually about the tuition credit (although this year it may be more about the stimulus / rebate credit.

You should be aware that there's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. You usually must have actually paid tuition, not had it paid by scholarships & grants.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

czempel12

I moved out from September of 2019 to end of November 2020 and lived in someone else’s household. My parents didn’t not pay my expenses. If that helps.. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your income would not be a consideration by itself since you are a full-time student. If you are away from home temporarily while at college, you would be considered to be living at home. All that would really matter is whether your parents furnished over half of your support. This article may help you:

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies