Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I deduct my tuition from a non accredited program that is from an accredited University?

I'm currently in an intensive program that provides a certificate of completion not a degree. They said that they do not provide 1098-T because it is a "continuing education" program. But they are connected to an accredited University. Is there any way I can deduct my education since it costs about $10,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I deduct my tuition from a non accredited program that is from an accredited University?

What's the program for? Is it related to your current employment?
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's for web development. It is not related to my current employment. I'm making a career change after the program.

1) You can Not claim an itemized deduction as business expense, because it qualifies you for a new line of work.

2) Since you have a tuition receipt from an accredited institution, you can claim either Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition and Fees Deduction. However ...

3) As there is no 1098-T, you should expect IRS to take longer to process than most claims, and they may request proof of payment (tuition receipt) ...

Rules are in IRS Pub 970. Link: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/index.html

Sambo20

So if I am attending a non-accredited school there is no way to claim tuition for a reimbursement or credit of any kind?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Sambo20  You may qualify for a Lifetime Learning Credit for any Education Expenses you paid, even if you don't have a 1098-T. 

Click this link for more info on claiming the Lifetime Learning Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies