turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098T

I have used Turbo Tax for many years and have not had this problem before (and I have had children in college for 9 years)...I CANNOT ENTER MY DAUGHTER'S 1098T info!  It allows me to enter the scholarships / grants but there is no way to enter the tuition (box 1).  

PLEASE FIX!!!!!!!!! 

I will try in a few days to a week to see if this was fixed ... I purchased the CD version.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

1098T

If you are unable to enter a 1098T, I have a couple of suggestions:

First, try doing a manual update on your software, if you have not already.  Here is a link to how to accomplish that:  Manual Update for Turbo Tax CD/Download Software

Second, If you are still unable to enter the 1098T, please try to go all the way through that section until you say you are finished, then try to edit to in order to add the 1098T.  Here are the steps:

STEP 1.) It will skip to books and supplies. KEEP GOING. You can't jump to, you can't hit back KEEP GOING as though you have entered.
STEP 2.) Do NOT put in scholarship amounts when it asks if the scholarship is listed on Box 5 of the 1098-T because you are about to double up. KEEP Going. you are about to circle back.
STEP 3.) Go through all screens. If says can't maximize because no expenses do not fret, Go all the way until it circles back to the Wages and Income screen.
STEP 4.) Go back into Education credit and hit Edit on the student. Will ask if you had education credit.
STEP 5) Once you do you may see the Summary Page of the student. Hit edit on the top one that reads Tuition.
Step 6.) Will ask if you had a 1098-T you say yes, and you can add, enter, edit here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1098T

Thank you!!!!  I have had this same problem  twice now.  Moving all the way through that section to the very end, then clicking Edit for my daughter's education expenses worked.  I hope it works also for the individual who started this thread!

1098T

Thank you for the response and the solution.  Yes, it did work.  I both manually updated Turbo Tax AND went through the entire section and then hit “Edit” to enter the tuition.  

So thank you.

But hopefully next year there won’t be the same problem.  I lost a lot of time thinking I was crazy and not doing something correctly, then posting, then waiting, then updating, then entering it as an “Edit”...what a pain!

C’mon Intuit, you can do better....

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1098T

In summary, 

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies