turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: 1098t

I can not file because the 1098-t form is not ready and it says it will be ready 1-8-20

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to the Federal filing, it is ready to be filed.   To enter your 1098-T, please follow the instructions below.  

1. Open or continue your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. Search for 1098T and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. Select Yes on the Do you want to enter your higher education expenses? screen.
  4. On the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, select Add A Student.
  5. Select the name of your student (this could be you, your spouse, or a dependent) and Continue.
  6. Answer some questions about the student and then you'll reach the Did [student] get a 1098-T from [school] for 2019? screen. Select Yes and Continue.
  7. Enter the information from your 1098-T on the next screen. When you're finished, select Continue.

After you enter your 1098-T, we'll ask some additional questions, including whether the student had other expenses (books, supplies, equipment) and financial aid.

Here's some important info you need to know about Form 1098-T:

• If the student on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return, even if your dependent paid the tuition.
  • If you're the student on the 1098-T and you aren't being claimed as a dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return unless your employer paid for or reimbursed your tuition (in which case just keep the 1098-T with your tax records).
  • Enter your 1098-T exactly as is even if the amounts are wrong (this is common). Don't worry, we'll give you the opportunity to correct the info and/or enter more expenses later.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1098-T

My daughter is a senior in college.  She received a 1098-T that I am trying to enter.  However under the Education Expenses section when I try to enter the information Turbo Tax continues to only allow me to enter expenses for books and supplies and automatically enters $0 for tuition and when I click the help button it says that this amount was entered earlier.  I never entered $0 anywhere prior to that because this was the only section regarding the 1098-T.  I do not want to enter her scholarship from Box 5 if I cannot include the tuition it covered in Box 1.  Any help here would be much appreciated.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Go back and reenter the information from the start

Follow the instructions to enter your 1098-T:

1) From Deductions & Credits

2) Move down to Education and under Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update

3) From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses

4) Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the   

screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary 

5) click Edit

6) At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies