Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T 2018

I did not enter my husband 1098T for 2018 but I did our daughters.

DO I need to go back and amend? Also his box 1 is greater than box 5. We did not received any of that scholarship/grant in our pocket. The difference is going to look like added income which it is not. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1098-T 2018

My question to you will be:  Did his employer pay his tuition plus books amount full directly to the school?  Did you pay any out of pocket money for any of his portion of the tuition and book fees?

If you did not pay out of pocket for any of his education expenses, you would not need to report his Form 1098-T because you don't qualify for any education tax breaks.  

If you paid some of his expenses after the employer's assistance, you should still file his Form 1098-T to claim part of the tax breaks either the credit or tuition and fees deduction.

@ourfamily123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

1098-T 2018

It depends.  If you qualify for education credits or deductions, it would be a good idea to go ahead and amend.  If his tuition is greater than the scholarships in box 5, TurboTax will not generate additional income for the scholarships, but be sure to enter the 1098T exactly as it appears on your physical copy.

To amend your return follow the steps below.  I am also including a couple of additional links on Educational credits and deductions.  

Do not amend your tax return until it is accepted. 

To Amend your return in Turbo Tax Online follow these steps:

1.  Sign in to your Turbo Tax Account

2.  Scroll down to  Your tax returns and documents and select Amend (change) 2019 return, then Amend using Turbo Tax Online.

3.  Select the reason you are amending and Continue

4.  Answer the questions about your Federal return, then begin amending your State return (if applicable) 

To Amend your return in Turbo Tax Desktop;

1.  Open your tax file you need to amend and select Online and Check for Updates.  

2.  Go to the Federal Taxes tab (or the Personal Tab, if you are using Home & Business) and select the Other Tax Situations Tab.

3.  Scroll down to Other Tax Forms and Select Start next to Amend a return.

4.  Answer the appropriate questions for the State and Federal Returns.  

It does take up to 12-16 weeks for more for Amended returns to be processed and they will need to be printed and mailed (they cannot be efiled.)

What Education Credits are Available?

Tuition and Fees Deduction

1098-T 2018

they education credits are for our college kid. both spouse and daughter had 1098T. I entered hers not his. his box 1 is higher than box 5. however we don't see any of the funds. the employer pays directly to the school incl funds for books. so do we need to enter his 1098t and amend?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1098-T 2018

My question to you will be:  Did his employer pay his tuition plus books amount full directly to the school?  Did you pay any out of pocket money for any of his portion of the tuition and book fees?

If you did not pay out of pocket for any of his education expenses, you would not need to report his Form 1098-T because you don't qualify for any education tax breaks.  

If you paid some of his expenses after the employer's assistance, you should still file his Form 1098-T to claim part of the tax breaks either the credit or tuition and fees deduction.

@ourfamily123

1098-T 2018

we paid nothing out of pocket. employer pd 100%

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies