turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a Segal Education Award?

I received a 1099 MISC for a Segal Education Award. TurboTax considers it business income. Is there another way to enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Per IRS, the AmeriCorps Education award should be reported on line 21, as Other Income and not as self-employment income.

When going through the 1099-Misc income, be sure to:

* select None of these apply on the "Does any of these uncommon situations apply" screen

* select No, it didn't involve work like my main job

* select No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money - such data entries will trigger the amount to be placed as Other Income on line 21, Form 1040, not subject to SE tax.

More details:

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Question...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Per IRS, the AmeriCorps Education award should be reported on line 21, as Other Income and not as self-employment income.

When going through the 1099-Misc income, be sure to:

* select None of these apply on the "Does any of these uncommon situations apply" screen

* select No, it didn't involve work like my main job

* select No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money - such data entries will trigger the amount to be placed as Other Income on line 21, Form 1040, not subject to SE tax.

More details:

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Question...

It keeps saying that it "needs review".

I am also getting this response and after going back multiple times and checking, there are no errors.  Mine is on the W-2G gambling winnings form.  I even deleted the form and started over.  What do I do?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@dlparker47 

A W-2G is a totally different topic than the subject of this thread (educational awards'grants/scholarships).

See: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-w-2g/01/26773#M249

I am getting this error too

Delete the 1099-MISC entry

Enter it again following these steps

1. Federal
  2. Wages and Income
  3. Other Common Income
  4. Form 1099-MISC
  5. You will fill in the field that asks what the 1099-MISC was for Segal Education Award
  6. Complete the rest of the form

This is not like your main job and is not an intent to earn money

Form 1099-MISC is intended to report the income of taxpayers who are not employees, such as independent contractors, freelancers, sole-proprietors, and self-employed individuals. The form is also used to report non-employee compensation such as rents, prizes, awards, healthcare payments, and payments to an attorney.

@kkorasonkara 

@lacheporter 

the Segal award is taxable and by doing the above, Turbotax is not taking the tax deductions from it which is wrong. 

lidamayy

How does this work for the 2021 year? I am not getting the same prompts from Turbo Tax

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You would enter the 1099-MISC for the Segal Education Award as Other Income, not as self-employment income.

To do this:

• Go to Other Common Income in the Income & Expenses section,
  • Click Start at the 1099-MISC box
  • Enter info from 1099-MISC,
  • Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC, and Continue
  • Does one of these uncommon situations apply?, Choose None of these apply and Continue
  • Check that No, it didn't involve work like my main job
  • How often did you get income for Segal Education Award, Choose I got it in 2021 and Continue
  • Did the Segal Education Award pay involve an intent to earn money, Choose, No, it didn't …. And Continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies