Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deepal2144
Returning Member

My wife has a under grad degree from another country, can I still use her 1098-T from current year to qualify for American Opportunity Tax credit? (Tax return 2019)

My wife did her bachelors degree from foreign country and now she is pursuing her graduate (masters) degree in USA. Can I use her 1098-T from this year to qualify for american opportunity tax credit ? Although she has a 4 year college degree from another country I have never used her previous education to claim American opportunity tax credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

My wife has a under grad degree from another country, can I still use her 1098-T from current year to qualify for American Opportunity Tax credit? (Tax return 2019)

@deepal2144 ,  tell TurboTax that you are filing Married Filing Joint and that you have 1098-T  for the spouse.  Then answer all the questions-- it  will walk through  the form fill-out and  compute the best option for you.  American Opportunity Credit is  only for the  first four years of  post secondary  students-- but there are other credits available .

Good luck

deepal2144
Returning Member

I know that I am eligible for other credit like Lifetime Learning Credit  but I want to check if I am eligible for american opportunity credit since the credit is higher.

no; you already completed 4 years of college. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@deepal2144  as both @NCperson  and I have mentioned , AOC is  ONLY for the first four years of Post-Secondary schooling.  It is not a question of if it has been used , it is ONLY for Under-graduate work.   Sorry

Namaste ji

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies