My wife and I are college professors. Each year attend one or two conferences for scholarly activity. What and how much is deductible? Where do I file it?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I are college professors. Each year attend one or two conferences for scholarly activity. What and how much is deductible? Where do I file it?

I am seeking tenure so presenting at conferences is almost required.  Thx!
3 Replies

Those expenses are deductible as job-related expenses.  Please go to Personal>Deductions & Credits>Employment Expenses.

I suggest reviewing the rules and limitations on travel expenses before you proceed.  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

Also keep in mind that job-related expenses are miscellaneous itemized deductions, you can deduct those expenses only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

What if my employer provided a portion of expenses?

Then you can only deduct the expenses you paid without reimbursement.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings